Anatomy of an (authentic) American political campaign

Follow the 96-day evolution of a grass roots political campaign as an All-American rural community fights back against the political manipulation of their town board's election.

Friday, September 30, 2005

Day Fifty Four

I awoke this morning exhausted from the events of the night before that kept me up until 1:30 am and awake until well after 2:30.

My late night/early morning conversation with my son really made me take a long and hard look at the campaign and how it is evolving. When my friend was asked to run as the Republican nominee, suddenly a sense of competition crept into my attitude. I began talking about political strategies and third party endorsements. In a matter of moments last night I morphed into a true politician, trying to figure out how to plan and strategize a campaign to beat others.

It was easy to do. In fact after working three years in the Erie County Legislature, that type of political campaign mindset is pretty much all I know. However, with the dawn, came a true realization that I am not a politician and am in no way comfortable taking on the persona of a politician.

So I made up my mind today to continue on course with my “your vote, your choice” campaign and focus on running to give people a voting choice, rather than trying to beat someone else.

If voters decide that they want me to serve and elect me, then that’s great. However, if they decide that the incumbent Democrat and the newly endorsed Republican are their choices, then that will be fine too. Based on all the things I have achieved in this town as a private citizen, I absolutely know that I don’t need the title of Town Councilperson in front of my name in order to make a difference or make good things happen.

Mid afternoon, I paid a visit to my friend’s pizzeria where we engaged in a productive conversation about the campaign. He has agreed to run. I again told him that I am glad that he is running. We agreed that he would check with the Republicans to see if they have any objection to the two of us doing some campaigning together.

What I find so ironic about this whole thing is that this man and I traded off the Presidency of the Eden Chamber of Commerce for a couple of years, working together to strengthen and advance the Chamber and resultantly the town. We make a great team and together and individually hold the same positive attitude about this town and its future.

While I realize that a Republican and an Independent Party Person campaigning together would fall far outside the realm of normal or even acceptable, I think working together we could pull this election off, for both of us.

I guess, time will tell.
 
                        Â
BUFFALO and WNY Webring!
Ring Owner: Jennifer  Site: All Things Jennifer
Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet
Site Ring
from Bravenet
BUFFALO and WNY Webring!
Ring Owner: Jennifer  Site: All Things Jennifer
Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet
Site Ring from Bravenet
BuffaloPundit