Anatomy of an (authentic) American political campaign

Follow the 96-day evolution of a grass roots political campaign as an All-American rural community fights back against the political manipulation of their town board's election.

Friday, September 30, 2005

Day Fifty Six

Feeling better today. Still not well enough to do campaign work, but at least able to get up and get some things accomplished around the house and visit with my son before he left tonight.

My husband said that word of my friend running as the Republican nominee is spreading around town. I learned that for myself later in the day as a reporter for the daily newspaper called to get my reaction on the Republican Party endorsing someone other than me.

Again, I spent quite a bit of time explaining to the reporter that if they had endorsed me, it would have put the race right back where it was when I decided to run, with two candidates for two offices and no voter choice. He countered by laughingly saying that apparently winning wasn't important.

Needless to say, our conversation was a series of go rounds with me trying to explain my desire to maintain my integrity and stand by my word and the reporter continually countering with remarks about my less than realistic attitude. While he did eventually say that my stand was admirable, it was clear that he thought I was unusual at best and foolish at worst.

I really am shocked at people's inability to understand and support the ideal of maintaining the integrity of my word as more important than winning a political race. It's not that I don't want to win. It's just that I have no desire to win at any cost...

...especially at the cost of turning my word into meaningless communication, never to be trusted.
 
                        Â
BUFFALO and WNY Webring!
Ring Owner: Jennifer  Site: All Things Jennifer
Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet
Site Ring
from Bravenet
BUFFALO and WNY Webring!
Ring Owner: Jennifer  Site: All Things Jennifer
Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet
Site Ring from Bravenet
BuffaloPundit