Anatomy of an (authentic) American political campaign

Follow the 96-day evolution of a grass roots political campaign as an All-American rural community fights back against the political manipulation of their town board's election.

Sunday, October 30, 2005

Day Eighty Four

The end of a long week of door to door.

I started early today in order to finish early so my husband and I could actually enjoy dinner together. Lately there are days when getting out there is tough. But once I get started I really enjoy meeting the people in this town, even when they don’t support my candidacy.

For example, last night, at my second last house of the night, I met a man who greeted me with the blunt pronouncement, “I know who you are and I’m not voting for you.” That intro basically left me with no place to go, so I simply thanked him for his time and began walking away.

I didn’t get more than a few steps down the driveway before he asked if I wanted to know why. My willingness to engage in further conversation led to a 20 minute dialogue between us that included his judgement of me as, "lacking in character."

As I eventually discovered, his anger with me was due to the fact that I have continued to work as the Senior Assistant to a County Legislator, who he feels during the budget crisis has failed her constituents. We went back and forth on the subject and by the time we were done, he good naturedly stated that he might now consider voting for me.

Then tonight as I finally got home and was walking in the door, the phone was ringing. It was a woman from my door to door route who was not home when I knocked and so I left her a "Sorry I missed you" card. She was calling to tell me that she was also sorry we missed each other and that I have her vote. Further, she told me that she was going to tell everyone she knows to vote for me.

On a Friday night after a long, cold and damp week of going door to door, that phone call was a very nice way to start off the weekend.
 
                        Â
BUFFALO and WNY Webring!
Ring Owner: Jennifer  Site: All Things Jennifer
Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet
Site Ring
from Bravenet
BUFFALO and WNY Webring!
Ring Owner: Jennifer  Site: All Things Jennifer
Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet
Site Ring from Bravenet
BuffaloPundit