Anatomy of an (authentic) American political campaign

Follow the 96-day evolution of a grass roots political campaign as an All-American rural community fights back against the political manipulation of their town board's election.

Sunday, October 30, 2005

Day Eighty Three

The local newspaper published a story on the Eden Town Board Election today. It was a well-balanced and fair article that gave each of us our due.

I must admit I’m disappointed that the paper is not endorsing anyone in this race. Since I worked previously for the pub as an op-ed columnist, the editorial department agreed that they would only report on the race and not endorse. While I understand their worry over appearing fair and honest, I really can’t imagine that readers would have a problem with their assessment of a candidate who hasn’t written for them in almost 3 months.

Then again, perhaps I should take heed of that old saying, “Be careful what you wish for….” and be satisfied with the fair newspaper article.

There has been an increase in door to door activity by other town candidates since I’ve been out pounding the pavement. The Democrats are also offering a by-ticket-only, $15/person meet the candidate party on Saturday, following my free cider and doughnuts get together. I’m glad to see all the increased activity, as it serves the voters of Eden well.

I do wish there had been an all encompassing Meet the Candidates Night including every candidate running for local office. Apparently the Chamber of Commerce has sponsored such an event in years past. I don’t recall that type of gathering from my time served on the Chamber Board, but I did suggest to a current board member that they renew the tradition. Apparently, they didn’t agree, or perhaps just didn’t have the time to get it organized.

I will be interested to see how many voters show up at the Democrat Meet and Greet. Since only 10 people showed up at my free cider and doughnuts gathering, I wonder how many will be willing to pay money for the same? Since it’s party organized, I would expect a better turnout. The question will be, how many attending are politically affiliated and expected to show up, as opposed to citizens freely giving of their time and money.

And why are they charging money for a chance to spend time with candidates? That seems pretty cheesy to me. If they need a fundraiser, they should call it a fundraiser, not a chance to meet Democratic candidates.

Where oh where is the Women League of Voters when you need them?
 
                        Â
BUFFALO and WNY Webring!
Ring Owner: Jennifer  Site: All Things Jennifer
Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet
Site Ring
from Bravenet
BUFFALO and WNY Webring!
Ring Owner: Jennifer  Site: All Things Jennifer
Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet
Site Ring from Bravenet
BuffaloPundit