Anatomy of an (authentic) American political campaign

Follow the 96-day evolution of a grass roots political campaign as an All-American rural community fights back against the political manipulation of their town board's election.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Day Eighty

Rain, rain, rain, from morning through night.

So my door to door routine today morphed into attending a meeting of a town foundation group that helps to fund community needs.

Their latest grant helped to finance regal velvet curtains for the middle school stage/auditorium. In thanks, students from the school performed improvisational routines for the citizens gathered, followed by a slide presentation of the foundation’s projects to date. Delicious cookies and cider refreshments topped off the event.

I was invited to attend by a friend who felt it would be a good place for me to meet and greet. It was a thoughtful gesture on his part but as it turned out, I already knew most everyone who was present. So I spent the evening visiting with friends and eating cookies. Sure beat going door to door in the wind and rain!

The highlight of the night happened on my way out the door. I noticed the endorsed Democrat and Republican Candidates for Town Board huddled in a conference. Never one to let an opportunity pass, I walked up to them and asked if we could hold a political caucus right there in the middle of the school hallway. Both looked at me with startled stares, at which point I laughed and said that I imagined the whole room was abuzz over the fact that we were actually talking to one another!

We chatted nicely for a minute about the election ballot and then my Republican Candidate friend and I headed for home.

The thing about small town politics is that it can just be so much fun.
 
                        Â
BUFFALO and WNY Webring!
Ring Owner: Jennifer  Site: All Things Jennifer
Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet
Site Ring
from Bravenet
BUFFALO and WNY Webring!
Ring Owner: Jennifer  Site: All Things Jennifer
Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet
Site Ring from Bravenet
BuffaloPundit