Anatomy of an (authentic) American political campaign

Follow the 96-day evolution of a grass roots political campaign as an All-American rural community fights back against the political manipulation of their town board's election.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Day Seventy Four

Planning for the party!

This Saturday from 9am to noon I’m sponsoring a free cider and donuts get together in the town’s historical building known as the Asa Warren House. It’s a great old house located in the center of Eden and I’m hoping a lot of people attend.

I’ve advertised the event for the last two weeks in the Pennysaver and judging by the reaction I’m getting during door to door, people are definitely aware of the event. Knowing and doing are two different things however, and if it’s a rainy day, as predicted, I’m thinking that people might opt to stay home.

My idea behind the gathering is to offer the town a public opportunity to meet me and talk about my candidacy, the campaign, the town, basically any and all issues related to my run for office. Since I got such a late start and I know I will not be able to get to every election district personally, I thought that this town wide gathering might help me reach voters.

I also thought it might be nice to have a campaign-related social function that did not require people to donate to me, but rather where I donate to them. I don’t know if anyone will notice that fact, but again, it’s my way of trying to change the status quo of elections and politics.

Door to door went well today. I completed my second district, which gave me hope that I might get to as many as 5 of the 7 town districts by November 8th. The advancing early evening darkness is definitely cramping my style, so I take my jeans and work boots with me so I can start walking as soon as I finish work.

I finished the day at the Asa Warren House, checking the layout and planning where to serve the cider and doughnuts. The beauty of the autumnal night combined with the strong sense of history surrounding me at Asa Warren's House reminded me once again why I love living in Eden. It’s a great town in a great region and I feel truly honored to be running for office and for the chance to serve this community that I've come to know and love as my home.
 
                        Â
BUFFALO and WNY Webring!
Ring Owner: Jennifer  Site: All Things Jennifer
Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet
Site Ring
from Bravenet
BUFFALO and WNY Webring!
Ring Owner: Jennifer  Site: All Things Jennifer
Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet
Site Ring from Bravenet
BuffaloPundit