Anatomy of an (authentic) American political campaign

Follow the 96-day evolution of a grass roots political campaign as an All-American rural community fights back against the political manipulation of their town board's election.

Friday, October 21, 2005

Day Seventy Seven

Today I met with a representative from Congressman Brian Higgins’ Office. Our purpose was to discuss the possibility of federal funding for a bus route to connect Eden and towns south to a hub service in Hamburg. From there riders could continue to a number of points, including Buffalo.

This bus route has been in the planning and talking stages for 4 years. A determined man from a neighboring town initially began the process and last year I came onboard through my role as a Senior Legislative Assistant.

I know it’s an important issue in this town as well as in surrounding communities. I also know from past work on federal grants, this is the time to start working on funding requests and proposals. So I presented the excellent groundwork that has been done on this project to the Congressman’s representative with the hope that we can get his support. I think if he approves, then the bus route can become a reality at some point.

Later in the day, a reporter from the daily newspaper called me to ask about the campaign. Overall it was a good interview. This is the third time he has contacted me about the race and each time he asks about my desire to win and more specifically about running against the other candidates. Each time I reply that it’s not about winning the race or about running against someone else. It’s about giving voters a choice and doing what I can to help the town.

My answers never seem to really register with the reporter. I think he finds me far from the norm and, as a result, has a hard time comprehending and/or believing me.

He should talk to my ex-husband. They would have a lot in common!

I finished up my door-to-door with a stop at the local supermarket. There I picked up 16 dozen apple fritter donuts baked by a wonderful woman, who I would guess to be in her late 50’s or early 60’s.

When I first went into the store to ask if they could make that many donuts at once, this woman’s co-worker, who is responsible for the weekend baking, immediately stated that there was no way he could produce that number on his shift. However, this very determined woman wanted to fill the order, and so she agreed to work late and bake all the donuts by herself.

When I walked into the bakery at 7:30pm, she had four huge boxes of donuts glazed and ready to go. When I complimented her on her endurance, she said that it only took her three and a half-hours and that she thought that it was important for the only supermarket in town to supply my community wide gathering.

Then with a hardy laugh and a twinkle in her eye she said that the sale of the large order would increase the bakery’s sales to a higher number than the store’s deli section, and she wanted to “kick their butts!”

That’s what I mean about the people in this town. For the most part they are so great and they take such pride in anything relating to Eden---even proving that the town’s small supermarket bakery can ably fill a Tops or Wegman’s size order.

That’s why I’m running, and why ,if elected, I would be willing to give of my time and efforts to serve on the Town Board. It's all about the people.
 
                        Â
BUFFALO and WNY Webring!
Ring Owner: Jennifer  Site: All Things Jennifer
Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet
Site Ring
from Bravenet
BUFFALO and WNY Webring!
Ring Owner: Jennifer  Site: All Things Jennifer
Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet
Site Ring from Bravenet
BuffaloPundit