Anatomy of an (authentic) American political campaign

Follow the 96-day evolution of a grass roots political campaign as an All-American rural community fights back against the political manipulation of their town board's election.

Friday, October 21, 2005

Day Seventy Six

Considering my late start entering this campaign, I originally thought that I wouldn’t be able to cover more than two or three districts door-to-door. Yet what I am finding is that I am plowing through at a much faster rate than I expected. I have now completed 3 districts and I believe that I can wrap up 2 a week between now and Election Day and complete the entire town, every election district.

I really enjoy meeting the people of this town, talking to them about the issues and hearing their thoughts and concerns. I have no idea whether they are going to vote for me or not, but I do know that they genuinely appreciate the fact that I am giving of my personal time every night to knock on their doors and introduce myself---explain my campaign.

The most frustrating part of my door to door efforts is that darkness encroaches more on my time, every day. But after listening to long range weather forecasts, I think darkness will be the least of my problems as October wains and November approaches.

I finished making arrangements for my cider and donuts party today. My campaign finance manager created signs to put in front of the historical society and I stapled them to big sandwich type signboards. We’ll put them out Friday morning and hope they help to attract people.

The night ended with an after dark mission to straighten and re-stake my election signs throughout town. The winds and rain made some of them tilt and warp to the point that they were in pretty sad shape. It took about an hour to set them all straight, putting me home just after midnight.

Yep, glamour, fame, and fun….that’s what running for office is all about!
 
                        Â
BUFFALO and WNY Webring!
Ring Owner: Jennifer  Site: All Things Jennifer
Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet
Site Ring
from Bravenet
BUFFALO and WNY Webring!
Ring Owner: Jennifer  Site: All Things Jennifer
Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet
Site Ring from Bravenet
BuffaloPundit