Anatomy of an (authentic) American political campaign

Follow the 96-day evolution of a grass roots political campaign as an All-American rural community fights back against the political manipulation of their town board's election.

Sunday, October 09, 2005

Day Sixty Four

A little less rain. A little less wind. A lot of layers. A few pieces of chocolate in my pocket. The recipe for a door to door plan in October.

The challenge of today’s campaigning was the absence of a car. Mine stopped running yesterday. So my choices were to ride my bike or to walk. Considering the weather, I decided to walk my neighborhood block, a distance of about 5 mi
Being a Saturday, I was hopeful to find people at home. Disappointingly, probably half of the houses whose doors I approached were empty. So I signed my palm card with a, “Sorry I missed you” note and kept moving.

About halfway through my walk, my friend, who is running for Town Board as the Republican Candidate, called to see what I was doing. I told him I was going door-to-door and invited him to join me. Within a few minutes he was driving down the road. We ended up finishing the second half of my planned route together.

Not only was it nice to ride in a warm car, but it was also great to campaign with him. Since he is a business owner in town and someone born and raised here, he knows a lot of people. So our partnering worked very well in that between the two of us we knew almost everyone to whom we spoke. We also were able to talk about our long time partnership on the Chamber of Commerce Boardand the fact that we would make a good team on the town board.

I’m sure that most political strategists would advise against this type of tandem campaigning, especially when there are 3 candidates for 2 available town board seats. Obviously someone has to lose and chances are it’s going to be one of the two of us. But we’ve discussed that possibility ad nauseum and we both agree that win or lose, we’re doing what we think is best for the town in this campaign and we’re both adjusted to letting the Election Day chips fall where they may.

We agreed to join forces again tomorrow (after the Bills Miami Game of course!) and spend another three to four hours working the doors.

It may not be politically smart, but it definitely feels right.
 
                        Â
BUFFALO and WNY Webring!
Ring Owner: Jennifer  Site: All Things Jennifer
Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet
Site Ring
from Bravenet
BUFFALO and WNY Webring!
Ring Owner: Jennifer  Site: All Things Jennifer
Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet
Site Ring from Bravenet
BuffaloPundit