Anatomy of an (authentic) American political campaign

Follow the 96-day evolution of a grass roots political campaign as an All-American rural community fights back against the political manipulation of their town board's election.

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Day Sixty One

I received some interesting “insider” information today about the Town Republican and Democratic powers-that-be and their perception of both my candidacy and my friend’s entry into the race as the new Republican candidate

When my friend was asked to run for the Republicans, being my friend he asked them about endorsing me since during the summer I had spoken directly to the party about possibly serving as their second candidate (foolish me!) The response to my friend’s query was that they were aware of my interest, but that I never submitted a letter requesting their endorsement, so they could not officially accept me as their candidate.

WELL…what I’ve learned is that despite their initial excitement over the chance to endorse me in June, there was not even consideration of me as a possible candidate in October. Seems they feel that I am just too difficult and would be too tough to handle.

Once I stopped laughing, I was highly complimented by their assessment. My husband also found it amusing. One of my political allies suggested that “too tough to handle” should become my new campaign slogan.

On the serious side, what concerned me more was information I received about the Democrats’ attitude toward their elective competition. Apparently, they don’t feel as if either my friend or I are any sort of a threat to their candidate. Their thought being that neither one of us is well known enough nor astute enough to put together a campaign to beat them.

Realistically, they may be right. Name recognition and incumbency are both key elements in any political campaign. The point is, unless we begin running head to head against the Democratic incumbent, the voters will have no reason to vote for either of us, versus her. And since my friend and I have both agreed that we will not engage in any type of negative campaign tactics, the reality is that one of us could very well lose on November 8th.

The funny part is, that’s ok with us, as our focus in this campaign is to try to do what is best for the town----and mud slinging is definitely not part of our agenda.

More door-to-door and hand shaking…. That’s going to be our MO.
 
                        Â
BUFFALO and WNY Webring!
Ring Owner: Jennifer  Site: All Things Jennifer
Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet
Site Ring
from Bravenet
BUFFALO and WNY Webring!
Ring Owner: Jennifer  Site: All Things Jennifer
Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet
Site Ring from Bravenet
BuffaloPundit