Anatomy of an (authentic) American political campaign

Follow the 96-day evolution of a grass roots political campaign as an All-American rural community fights back against the political manipulation of their town board's election.

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Day Sixty Seven

A landmark day for this candidate. Or so I thought.

At 10am the bingo balls were rolling at the Board of Elections as part of the selection process for candidate positions on the November 8th ballot. I arrived just in time to chat for a minute with a friend of mine running for Town Board in Evans before the official ceremony began.

The candidates who showed up for the selection process were ushered into a meeting room. At the front of the room sat a group of 4 men and women identified as officials of the Board of Election printing office. The Vice-Commissioner of the Board sat off to one side as an official observer and a woman stood at the end of the table to aid those drawing numbers.

Upon explaining the bingo ball procedure, candidates were called up to the table by election race, and asked to spin the bingo ball cage one way to mix the numbers and then another way to drop out a numbered ball. That number, relative to the numbers dropped by others running for the same race, then determined each candidate’s position on the ballot.

As I sat and watched those who went before me, I became oddly excited by the prospect of bingo ball tumbling. I wondered if my Irish luck would bring me a low number and therefore a good placement on the ballot. However, when my name was finally called and I approached the golden tumbler, my hopes were immediately dashed as the women in charge bluntly informed me that there was no need for me to participate.

Apparently, due to the fact that I am the only non-traditional (i.e. Republican, Democrat, Conservative and Independent) party/candidate in the campaign, there is only one place for me on the ballot. The only choice to be made concerning my ballot position is how low on the ballot I will be, and Board of Elections officials will make that decision.

Bummer. I was really looking forward to twirling that bingo ball cage.

As I left the Board of Elections dejected and bruised, I ran into a friend of mine still involved in the inner sanctum of county government. He said he’s hearing a lot about my campaign and that it’s raising some eyebrows in political circles. I’m also hearing from others that insiders are wondering where I’m getting some of my information and how I know what I do.

All of the feedback makes me feel rather like the chesire cat from Alice in Wonderland. I have a birds eye view of this election year’s political process from my tree branch and a big grin on my face from knowing a lot of the inside details.
 
                        Â
BUFFALO and WNY Webring!
Ring Owner: Jennifer  Site: All Things Jennifer
Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet
Site Ring
from Bravenet
BUFFALO and WNY Webring!
Ring Owner: Jennifer  Site: All Things Jennifer
Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet
Site Ring from Bravenet
BuffaloPundit