Anatomy of an (authentic) American political campaign

Follow the 96-day evolution of a grass roots political campaign as an All-American rural community fights back against the political manipulation of their town board's election.

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Day Sixty Six

I finished up my first door to door district yesterday, so I began walking in a new district today.

It’s been a tough decision choosing the districts in which to walk. There are 7 election districts in my town and based on my late start, I will realistically probably only get to three or four of them. So I sat down today and studied my voter lists and strategically made a walking plan for the next month.

The district I’m targeting this week includes the area of East Eden. It’s kind of an interesting dynamic in this town. There are two clearly divided sections of Eden and East Eden within the town boundaries and the people of East Eden clearly set themselves apart in many ways.

I also know that those residing in East Eden often feel as if they are left out of the loop, sort of like the poor cousin. That type of thinking is what motivated me when I served as President and Board Member on the Chamber of Commerce, to ensure that whenever I undertook a town wide program the people and the area of East Eden were included. Same with the cider and doughnuts get together next Saturday. The ad in the Pennysaver specifically invites people from both areas.

I have no idea if the people there realize or appreciate that I have made the effort, but so far in my door to door, the response in their area has been positive.

On a related campaign note, a candidate running for the Erie County Legislature responded to the blog today. He is campaigning for the office through a write-in ballot procedure. Seems he was promised the endorsement of the Republican Party and at the last minute they pulled the rug out from under him and endorsed someone else. He is understandably angry and bitter about what happened and now is trying to rally support from the public through a grass roots campaign.

I don’t know anything about his district, his candidacy, or his legislative race. What I do know is that this person is a walking, talking billboard against the Republican Party. What particularly caught my attention is that his story bears a striking familiarity to the unsavory political process tha occurred in my own town.

For my nickel, people who are willing to step forward and put themselves under public scrutiny as political candidates deserve to be treated better by the parties they are courting. I realize that politics have become predominately a game of money and power. But there are still small glimmers of hope out there---campaigns and candidates, like me and like this person running for the legislature, who are in the game for the right reasons. We care about our community and the people who live there, and we want to serve to maintain and improve the quality of life.

Call me Pollyanna if you like---I prefer to categorize my type as a dying breed.
 
                        Â
BUFFALO and WNY Webring!
Ring Owner: Jennifer  Site: All Things Jennifer
Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet
Site Ring
from Bravenet
BUFFALO and WNY Webring!
Ring Owner: Jennifer  Site: All Things Jennifer
Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet
Site Ring from Bravenet
BuffaloPundit