Anatomy of an (authentic) American political campaign

Follow the 96-day evolution of a grass roots political campaign as an All-American rural community fights back against the political manipulation of their town board's election.

Sunday, October 09, 2005

Day Sixty Three

Rain, wind, a dramatic drop in temperature, and an important free lance PR job kept me pretty much out of the campaign loop today.

I know that I’ve been so blessed with the summer-like weather that I've enjoyed since beginning my door to door campaign. It’s hard to face the fact that long johns will be part of my walking ensemble by the time Election Day arrives.

I did manage to accomplish a few campaign odds and ends today. The most important was the creation of a new Penny Saver ad, in the form of a town wide invitation.

I’ve decided that rather than schedule another campaign fundraiser, I am going to take the monies that people have so generously contributed to my candidacy and sponsor a town wide party. So on Saturday, October 22 from 9am to Noon I am going to be onsite at the Eden Historical Society, also known as the Asa Warren House, with free cider and doughnuts for all residents of Eden and East Eden.

I don’t really know if people will show up. But I do think that a town wide offering for the purpose of gathering together to talk about the town and the town’s future appeals to me both as a private citizen and as a political candidate. And I am hoping that people in this town feel the same way.

The wonderful gentleman who first approached me about running for office has taken care of the rental fee for the Asa Warren House and my campaign finance manager is going to paint some signs to place outside the Historical Building to keep the event in people’s minds. Then it’s just a matter of running the event information in the Pennysaver for the next two weeks, and waiting to see what happens.

The other bit of campaign related activity today came in the form of a letter from the Board of Elections. Since I have yet to hear if my petitions have been accepted and whether my candidacy is valid, I opened the letter with some trepidation.

What I read made me laugh out loud.

Apparently, there is a selection process used to decide how each party will appear on the election day ballot. From what I can gather it involves drawing the ballot lines out of a hat, or a box, or some type of official container. This letter informed me of the date and time of the drawing and invited me to be present to make the selection myself.

I took the letter to be confirmation that I am officially a candidate. Can’t wait to see if my Irish luck helps me draw a good line.
 
                        Â
BUFFALO and WNY Webring!
Ring Owner: Jennifer  Site: All Things Jennifer
Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet
Site Ring
from Bravenet
BUFFALO and WNY Webring!
Ring Owner: Jennifer  Site: All Things Jennifer
Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet
Site Ring from Bravenet
BuffaloPundit