Anatomy of an (authentic) American political campaign

Follow the 96-day evolution of a grass roots political campaign as an All-American rural community fights back against the political manipulation of their town board's election.

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Day Eighty Eight

The Home Stretch.

One week from today it will all be over but the crying---or the cheering, depending on the vote.

Once again the weather kept me from door to door. It's frustrating but there's not much I can (or want) do when it's pouring rain.

The other equally frustrating part of my campaign these days is the question of the hour that everyone seems to need to ask me. "What do you think, are you going to win?"

I am patient with those who repeat the endless query and explain to them that while many people tell me they are going to vote for me, what they say and what they do behind the election booth curtain can be entirely different.

To be truthful, I have no idea how my campaign is going. I know that people have been supportive of my candidacy and very friendly in discussing the election, but the reality is that none of those indicators really provide any clue as to the outcome of a political race such as this one.

What it all boils down to is the same refrain I've been touting since day one of this Voter's Choice Campaign. I threw my hat into the proverbial ring for the simple purpose of giving voters in the Town of Eden a choice when they go to the polls on election day. Clearly, I have accomplished my objective and so whatever the outcome, I believe that my candidacy has already been a success.

I did receive a very interesting email today from someone who read about my blog in yesterday's News. The gentleman listed his concerns about life in Western New York including a poor economy, high taxes, expensive health care, and an overall political atmosphere counter productive to progress. The bottom line to the communication was his question of whether I was going to step forward and speak up against business as usual and try to improve these problems if elected to serve in Eden's Town Government.

I repsonded that I have always been someone to step forward and speak out whenever I felt it necessary, and I actually bet him a dinner at Katherine's (a great Eden Restuarant) that he could ask anyone who knows me and get the same response.

My life long trait of outspokeness has often put me in uncomfortable situations, but I do believe my willingness to openly discuss and face tough issues is one thing that people appreciate about me as a candidate. Ask me a question and I'll give you an answer, if I can. I also never pretend to know all the answers, but I'm willing to dig to find them.

I didn't receive a response to my response, so I have no idea if I earned his vote or not. Equally as important, I don't know if he's going to take me up on my bet---it's a sure thing---and I love going to Katherine's!
 
                        Â
BUFFALO and WNY Webring!
Ring Owner: Jennifer  Site: All Things Jennifer
Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet
Site Ring
from Bravenet
BUFFALO and WNY Webring!
Ring Owner: Jennifer  Site: All Things Jennifer
Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet
Site Ring from Bravenet
BuffaloPundit