Anatomy of an (authentic) American political campaign

Follow the 96-day evolution of a grass roots political campaign as an All-American rural community fights back against the political manipulation of their town board's election.

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Day Ninety Four

The last day of the campaign and by morning’s first light I was so ready for all of the hoopla to end.

However after a few Advil and some medicinal chocolate, I began to rally. By mid afternoon I had my volunteer troops organized for handing out leaflets at the polling places and my signs pretty well in order.

My plan for the polling places somehow worked out perfectly. Of the 2 districts that I did not manage to get to in my door to door, both vote at the Town Hall. So I have stationed my volunteers there from 6am to 8pm. I will then float among the other 3 polling places throughout the day. Seems like a perfect plan.

This afternoon I called a former co-worker who was the mastermind behind many of the legislative campaigns when I worked downtown. I ran my Election Day plan by him, just to be sure that I wasn’t missing any details. He suggested that I chose the polling place of the districts that I believe are strongest in my favor and be there between the prime hours of 4 p.m.to 7 p.m. Aside from that he thought I was good to go.

I finished up the night with the help of my ever supportive husband and my campaign finance manager making oversized signs of the ballot with a large red arrow pointing to my name, which is at the very bottom. While they are not perfect, they are eye catching and I think they will help remind people to look all the way down to row G (Vote Row G for Good Government.)

There were two phone calls tonight that made my day. The first was from my son in Charlotte, North Carolina. I had IM’d him earlier in the day that a local well known radio talk show host was asking people to call in and give a last minute plug for their candidate of choice. Unbeknownst to me, my son called in and talked about how much he respected me and thought I was an excellent candidate, who was running for all the right reasons. Considering that my son didn’t want me to run in the first place, I was very touched that he would take the time to do such a thing.

The second phone call from my Democratic opponent. In a very classy move, she called to wish me good luck. We chatted for about 10 minutes, sharing our agreed views on the need for voters to have a choice at the polls. We also shared a few campaign war stories.

I was so impressed that she picked up the phone to wish me lucked. And of course, I wished her the same. We were both genuine in our expressions and the whole exchange gave me great hope that it is possible to run a political campaign based on the issues, for the good of the community.

Hey, so what if it’s only the Town Council Race in the rural community of Eden. We’ve got start somewhere.
 
                        Â
BUFFALO and WNY Webring!
Ring Owner: Jennifer  Site: All Things Jennifer
Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet Free Site Ring from
Bravenet
Site Ring
from Bravenet
BUFFALO and WNY Webring!
Ring Owner: Jennifer  Site: All Things Jennifer
Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet Free Site
Ring from Bravenet
Site Ring from Bravenet
BuffaloPundit